Become a Twitter Power User
Posted by Harvey at Wired-In
It may surprise you but there is a lot more punch in 140 characters that you may think. There is truly power in this thing that we call Twitter. The question is are you using Twitter to its full potential? What can you do with Twitter and how can it benefit you? What kind of power does Twitter provide you?
Power to Meet Influencers
An influencer is a person or thing which influences. They can be top experts, the very popular, those in top leadership positions, those whose voice is heard by the masses, etc. One cool fact is that for the most part you can find them on Twitter. You can read what they have to say, share your posts with them, and even communicate with them. Twitter is one of the easiest ways to meet them.
To meet influencers:
- Use Twitter search to find them. You can search by name or even search the name of your industry or location to see what comes up.
- Browse to them through Twitter categories.
- Check out who your followers and those you follow are following.
Power of a Listening Post
You can’t expect to be a great communicator without being a great listener. You can’t hope to be a good leader without being a good listener. You can’t be an amazing marketer without being an amazing listener. Listening is half of the equation whether you are talking about communication, leadership, or marketing. Consider Twitter a very powerful extra set of ears.
To use Twitter as a listening post:
- Follow the competition. By following your competitors you can see what they are up to. You will know what ways they are reaching out to customer’s and collaborators that you want for your organization or brand. You may even learn a lesson or two about what is or isn’t working for them and apply it to your business.
- Follow those you do business with and your Facebook followers. Following them opens yet another communication channel. It shows them that you are interested in what they have to say. It also provides yet another marketing channel to them.
- Follow relevant blogs. Blogs can be some of the best free information and even education you will find. They can inform, inspire, and even provide step by step instructions on how to do almost anything. Bloggers can also be powerful influencers and connectors.
- Follow local businesses. Forming relationship with local business’ can provide local connections, opportunity for community involvement, and may lead to future clients.
- Follow local news. By following news sources you can keep up with current events, be in touch with what is effecting the lives of your customers, and keep tabs on what is happening in society that may have an impact on your brand.
Power to Grow a Following
The bigger your following the bigger your net of sources of information, influencers and connectors, connections, and potential clientele.
To grow your following:
- Follow others.
- Tweet regular original content.
- Interact with others.
- Promote your Twitter account.
I will provide detailed guidance on how to strategically do all four of these in a soon upcoming post.
Twitter can be a very powerful tool if used consistently, patiently, and strategically. It is everywhere. Start becoming a Twitter power user today.
How do you use Twitter to promote your name or organization?
Posted on January 5, 2013, in Marketing, Promotion, Social Media and tagged following, influencers, listening, marketing, promotion, social-media-communication, twitter. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.